In a few days’ time, Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. That we try to make this a significant season for ourselves is what is important and it may be that we take up the tried patterns that we have established over the years: fasting, penance, prayer. I hope you might also find the following reflection helpful. It comes from Annabel Shilson-Thomas:
The keeping of Lent is a wilderness experience. With Christ we enter the desert of uncertainty, trying to discern the way forward so that we become the people God intended us to be. It is a time for looking back and looking forward, a time to reflect and to reorient ourselves. It is an opportunity to re-evaluate our priorities and to make choices.
*** *** ***
Some points raised at a meeting of St Anne’s Pastoral Council last week:
- New members for the PPC. We would welcome some more people who would be willing to join the PPC. If you would like to offer your services (not a great burden!) please contact St Anne’s parish office.
- We discussed the future of the Pastoral Centre.
- We received an update on the church roof repairs and the fundraising.
- We hope to hold a parish AGM once the accounts for 2013-14 have been published.
- We hope to hold some discussion groups on the document received from the archdiocese on Marriage and Family Life Ministry.
Points from St Elizabeth’s Pastoral Council Meeting last week:
- We need more volunteers for children’s liturgy.
- We are preparing for the Archbishop’s visit to the parish on 10 May.
- A joint harvest celebration with St Mark’s is in preparation.
- We need more volunteers for church cleaning; a big clean before Easter.
- Events over the coming year were discussed and put in the parish calendar.
- Given the problems with the parish centre, it is now out of use.
Fr Godric OSB
This week's Bulletin
Newsletter Pastoral Area 14 - Advent
New Edition Now available
Church Roof Appeal
St Anne's Church
St Anne's Priory
23 Prescot Road, Ormskirk, Lancs, L39 4TG
Telephone: 01695 572168
(for general enquiries)
St Elizabeth's Church
St Elizabeth’s Presbytery,
10 Hall Road, Scarisbrick, L40 9QE
Tel: 01704 880226